logo horz


If your organization would like to hold a "tag day" or solicit funds at area businesses in the City of Peru, you must seek permission from the City Clerk's Office first.

Solicitation is only allowed Friday-Sundays and are open to local organizations only.

In your request, you must include the name of the organization and the dates you wish to reserve. Submit your written request to City of Peru, P.O. Box 299 or email to spiscia@peru.il.us.

Should you have any questions, contact Deputy Clerk Stephanie Piscia at 815-223-0061 x307 or spiscia@peru.il.us


Why is my water rust/tea-colored from the hydrant flushing?  Is the water safe?

Sometimes hydrant flushing can make the water temporarily appear rust-colored because the iron and mineral deposits in the water get stirred up.  Water is safe to use and consume during hydrant flushing, however it may stain laundry.

The main component of the discoloration of the water during hydrant flushing is caused by iron deposits from inside the water mains. The source of the iron is naturally occurring from ground water wells and deposits in the ductile iron pipe that make up the underground water system.

Utilites are set up through the City Clerk's office is located at 1901 4th Street. The City of Peru supplies electricity and water. Ameren supplies the gas service. If you are renting your residence, there is a $250 deposit for electric service and a $50 deposit for water service. You must set up your utilities in person, pay the deposit and show a valid photo ID. If you are renting a commercial space, contact Utility Billing at 815-223-0061 for deposit information.

Contact number for Ameren is 1-800-755-5000.

Utility payments can be made at the City Clerk's Office at 1901 Fourth Street. We accept cash, check and credit card (Visa or Mastercard only-1.5% fee applies).

Other payments options:

  • Automatically withdrawn from your checking account with voided check
  • Electronically through City of Peru online bill pay (located on home page)
  • A payment drop box is available next to the drive up facility at the north end of the building

Leaf Burning is permitted only between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM April 1st to May 31st and October 1st to November 30th.  Burning is prohibited on Sunday and Monday.  Fires must be at least 20ft from any structure. No burning of leaves allowed within 48 hours after a rainfall of more than 1/2 inch.  Burning is allowed only on private property with the consent of the owner or person in charge of that property and must be constantly attended by a competent person until the fire is extinguished. No leaf burning on asphalt or City sidewalks is allowed.  


It is unlawful to park on any public street or right-of-way following a snowfall of 3" or more until the snow and ice on such public street or public right-of-way has been plowed from curb to curb (effective 12 hours after snowfall). Penalty of $25 to $500 plus towing fee.

General Park Rules:

It can take up to two weeks for a residential permit, if there are stamped plans the process can take up to two months.

2018 Annual Drinking Water Report

You can find our application here  https://peruil.seamlessgov.com/CO19101000125471090 or come to the City Hall for an application. You will need to fill out the Location, type of project, amount, owner information, contractor information and attach a picture of the work being done; including measurements, square footage, property lines, etc.

Call the Public Works department at 815-223-2962 and give them your name, phone number and address and they will get you added to the chipper list. The cost is $20.00 for every 15 minutes they are at your residence.

Call the Public Works Department 24 hours in advance at 815-223-2962 and they will schedule an appointment.

The non-emergency number for the Police Department is 815-223-2151

The non-emergency number for the Fire Department is 815-224-2141

Generally speaking, a boil order is a public advisory to boil the tap water before drinking and other human consumption uses. Boil orders are precautionary measures issued to protect public health from the possible exposure to waterborne infectious agents.

Republic Services currently holds the residential contract for waste/recycling removal in the City of Peru. Contact Republic Services at 815-434-2035 for more information.


Items Accepted: Kitchen waste, paper products, non-recyclable packaging, mixed paper and other odds and ends. All waste must be contained in provided cart. Items not accepted: are loose trash, dirt, stone, rocks, hazardous materials, liquids, yard waste mixed with garbage, large auto and truck parts, tires, televisions, computers and other electronics, kitchen and laundry supplies, paint, engine and machine oils.

Chipper Service

Chipper Service will begin Monday, April 1st. Residents are to call the Public Services Department at 815-223-2962 for an appointment. Cost is $20.00 for each 15 minutes the chipper is at your residence. Items accepted are tree limbs no longer than 4ft in length and 6” in diameter and bush trimmings. NO ROOTS, ROCKS OR DIRT.

Brush needs to be piled at the curb.

Comcast Customer Service Options

Are you a resident in the city of Peru looking to display a temporary sign? There are a few things Peru building and zoning officials would like remind you of:

According to the City ordinance, all temporary signs (a non-permanent sign erected, affixed or maintained for a short, usually fixed period of time) must be pre-approved by the building inspector prior to posting and are only allowed a maximum of 14 days. Temporary sign applications can be picked up at the Building and Zoning office inside Peru Municipal Building and will require a $100 refundable fee that will be returned as soon as the sign is taken down.

The City of Peru has established procedures for public comment at city meetings. Please see the link below to view the policy.

Public Comment Policy

Public Comment Policy Amended

Political signs. The following regulations shall apply to all political signs. (Amended by Ordinance No. 4885 March 12, 2012)

(1)          Permits. Political signs shall be exempt from the permit requirements of this section.

(2)          Location-Private property. Signs are not allowed on the public right of way.

(3)          Sign Display- All Zoning Districts- Business, Manufacturing and Residential Zoning.