How to File a Freedom of Information Act
Request with the City of Peru
The following are instructions on how to file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the City of Peru:
- Please make your request for records in writing. The City of Peru does not require the completion of a standard form for this purpose. You may submit your written request by mail, fax, or e-mail. Please direct your request to:
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are seeking. Remember, the Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It is not designed to require a public body to answer questions. To the extent that you wish to ask questions of a FOIA Officer, you may call the office of the City Clerk at 815.223.0061. Requests for police documents are handled by the Police FOIA Officer, Michelle Wagner and can be made either online or in person at the Peru Police Department located at 1503 4th Street, Peru, IL., or follow the link to the Police Department page.
- Please tell us whether you would like copies of the requested records, or whether you wish to examine the records in person. You have the right to either option.
- Requests will be furnished in the capacity they are stored. In accordance with the Act, if the information be available electronically, the request will be provided electronically. Should the information be in paper-form only, it will be provided in paper-form only. The requester will be notififed within the 5 business days with the approximate amount of pages and if there is a dollar amount due before the request is fulfilled.There is no fee for up to 50 pages of standard paper copies. For pages beyond 50, there is a .15-cent-per-page charge.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or similar statement) in your written FOIA request: “I request a waiver of all fees with this request.” In addition, you must include a specific explanation as to why your request for information is in the public interest-not simply your personal interest-and merits a fee waiver.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number(s), mailing address, and, if you wish, your electronic mail address.